Casey devotes 100% of his practice to healthcare law compliance and transactional matters. He believes that his healthcare clients are best served by an attorney who is singularly focused on the healthcare industry and the constant updates and changes to relevant laws.
Casey’s expertise includes guiding clients through complicated patient privacy laws, including HIPAA, the Washington Uniform Health Care Information Act, and the federal regulations governing substance abuse use disorder records (42 C.F.R. Part 2). He has assisted many clients with the HIPAA breach notification requirements. He also has an in-depth understanding of health care fraud and abuse laws, including the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and the Washington State Anti-Rebate Statute.
Casey has an interest in the application of technology to health care and has provided legal services related to telemedicine compliance issues, collaborations between health care organizations and technology companies, and digital health contracting matters.
Casey has experience drafting and negotiating contracts involving healthcare entities and providers, including physician employment and independent contractor agreements, vendor contracts, clinically integrated network contracts, and information technology agreements. He also understands the unique compliance issues that apply to contracts in the healthcare industry, such as HIPAA Business Associate Agreement terms and conditions, the Corporate Practice of Medicine Doctrine, and required contractual provisions under the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute.
Beyond his legal knowledge, Casey prides himself on finding innovative solutions to client legal issues. He believes that the true “value add” for an attorney is the ability to find solutions that keep clients on a firm compliance footing while still allowing clients to achieve their business objectives.
Casey received his J.D., cum laude, from Seattle University School of Law, and B.A. in History, with honors, from Yale University.
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Health Law Association
- Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law
- B.A., Yale University
- Northwest Alliance for Psychoanalytic Study: Examining the Volk Decision from Many Angles
- Seattle University Innovation and Technology Law Conference: RegTech in the Health Industry
- Wellspring Family Services Counseling: Balancing Risk Management and Practice
- Washington State Bar Association: The Latest in HIPAA: Releasing Health Information under HIPAA and Washington State Law
- Webinar Presentation: Navigating Legal Issues in Telemedicine Webinar Presentation
- Webinar Presentation to Community Health Centers: Complying with HIPAA under the HITECH Act
- Oregon Community Health Information Network Learning Forum: Preparing for the HIPAA Privacy
- Lorman Seminars: Preparing for the HIPAA Privacy and Security Audit Program
- Volunteer judge for legal writing students and mock trial competitors at Seattle University School of Law
- Class representative for O'Dea High School
- Recognized as a Washington "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2013-2020